[QGIS-Developer] Can I backport bugfix with UI updates and fixing QGIS Server regression

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Sun May 12 00:41:19 PDT 2019

Le dim. 12 mai 2019 à 07:32, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 18:31, René-Luc Dhont <rldhont at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I am still waiting for a review about fixing 2 issues in printing for
> > QGIS and QGIS Server 3.4 LTR. https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/9692
> >
> > This PR wil fix an issue https://issues.qgis.org/issues/19500 `Layout
> > export - raster divided into tiles, edges evident in pdf/svg`. This
> > issue has been identifed in version 3.2 and has been fixed in 3.6.
> > This PR will also fix a regression in QGIS Server `Printing selection in
> > PDF and SVG`. The selection is already printed in image output.
> >
> > The next LTR will be released in 10 mounths. QGIS Server 3.6, which
> > already have the fix, is not available on Debian Stretch because it
> > requires Qt 5.9 and Debian Buster will be freezed in 8 mounths. So the
> > QGIS server regression will not be available since the end of 2019.
> >
> > I will appreciate a decision about this fix. Do you think QGIS Server
> > users have to wait for the next LTR or Debian Buster release ?
>
> I'm still uncomfortable with the potential risk this has of breaking
> layout export in 3.4 for desktop users. So I'm not going to approve
> the backport, but if another dev is willing to take on this risk and
> approve the backport then I won't stand in the way.
>
> Nyall

I agree with Nyall here unfortunately.

Backporting this could be acceptable at the condition of having a wide
integration test coverage and extensive real testing of the fixed branches.

I'd be pleased to test things here but use cases are so numerous that I
fail to see how to do this efficiently.
I hope we'll one day be able to run those smoke tests as discussed at La
Coruna.
Best regards

Régis