[QGIS-Developer] Questions wrt. problems with empty layers (SOLVED - somewhat)

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun May 12 01:35:08 PDT 2019

On 11/05/2019 19.44, Bo Victor Thomsen wrote:

> Retrying the WFS describefeature request on the sql server layers now
> gives the equivalent result as with Postgres:
>
>   *            ...<xsd:element maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0"
>     name="ogr_geometry" nillable="true"
>     type="*gml:MultiSurfacePropertyType*"/>...
>

> There seems to be a discrepancy in how different spatial software
> interprets how geometry_columns should be structured
>
>   * GDAL uses "geometry_type" (hence SQLServer uses this too, because it
>     was created by ogc2ogc command-line tool in sqlserver)
>   * PostGIS view use "type"
>   * Spatialite uses "geometry_type"
>   * GeoServer uses "type"
>
> and so on ....
>
> How do we ever reach "world peace" or solve the climate crisis if we
> even can't agree on the name of friggin' meta table column ....

Mmm, well, not by being totalitarian and defining how the view/table
should look like or columns be named :-)

I mean, I think HOW a database defines it's metadata columns is their
internal business.

IF sofware is going to use (OR create) these, that software should
'speak' the different dialects.

So what is you conclusion now?
Is it that Geoserver is requesting the 'type' on databases that use
'geometry_type'?

Or is GDAL creating wrong metadata tables by creating a geometry_type
column which is always called 'geometry_type'.

Whatever is the case I think it is to be fixed there isn't it? QGIS
cannot 'know' what isn't reported by the server back-end?

Regards,

Richard