[QGIS-Developer] Request for a Github Webhook

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed May 22 02:07:26 PDT 2019

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 08:01:21AM +1200, Joshua wrote:

> I then looked for a QGIS Discord server but couldn't find one.
>
> I decided to
> make one for other people who wanted the same thing. In just a couple of
> days since launching the server we now have 28 members /(now 35)/.

Had you considered using a free platform alternative instead ?
Give this a try: https://riot.im/app/#/room/#qgis:matrix.org

NOTE: the riot.im link lets you join a Matrix room, which is a chat
      room served by an openly documented technology that anyone can
      deploy. The technology aims at being the definitive IM system,
      open source, distributed (federated), interfaceable. It allows
      bridging rooms from many different other technologies, as long as
      the tech owners allow that (Discord is not so easy to merge in)

> Discord currently has 130 million registered users and is growing. Many
> people would happily join a Discord QGIS server because they already use
> Discord and log in everyday.
>
> And many of these people would not join other
> QGIS communication sites because it would be another app they need to use or
> another website they need to log into each day.

I do understand this argument, thus I again recommend you Matrix,
having the aim of being the single communication site giving you
access to all the communities (IRC included).

> My vision for this server is to have it function much the same way it does
> for Minetest. A place to hang out, ask questions, contribute and showcase
> work. Having a Github feed would allow members to keep appraised of the
> latest core development and perhaps inspire them to contribute by making
> their own pull requests. I believe this Discord server will have a net
> positive effect for QGIS.

May I suggest you to see if it is possible to bridge Discord to Matrix ?
You could ask this to the Discord admins (sorry, nobody else can help
but them..)

--strk;