[QGIS-Developer] Post github issues migration clean ups - some proposals

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Mon May 27 00:53:49 PDT 2019

Hi,

Le lun. 27 mai 2019 à 01:06, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Once again, many many thanks to the individuals behind the the recent
> issues migration. Fantastic job all round!

+1 !

> I'd like to do some post-migration cleanups, but would like wider
> opinions on how to handle these:
>
> - We have two labels "bug" and "bug fix" which apply to issues and
> pull requests respectively. Can we combine these, and just use "bug"
> for bug fixing PRs? (There's a LOT of labels now)

+1

> - "Database" label: should this be renamed "db manager", to
> disambiguate from postgis/spatialite/etc issues, which instead belong
> under "data providers"?

+1

> - Can "CAD" be merged into "Digitising"? There's only a handful of
> open issues, and I don't think it warrants a separate category. In
> QGIS these two concepts are basically merged now anyway.

+1

> - "Easy fix". Does anyone actually use this? Many of these are not
> "easy fixes" -- e.g. I've been chipping away at
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28195 since last year... it's
> probably about the hardest fix I've ever done in QGIS. No idea how
> this one gained the label!

Let's keep the label as an attempt to help new contributors to board in.
Core dev's shouldn't be shy about removing the "Easy fix" tag when they
know it's not easy :)

> - "Editing": This label is very vague -- it's being used for
> digitizing issues, project editing issues, copy/paste issues, and even
> data provider issues. I'd argue we could drop this label and use other
> existing, more specific labels instead

+1

> - "Feature request" / "Feature": I'm not sure how we'd go about
> merging these two categories, but it seems strange to have the two
> separate.

+1 . the label list was discussed only using the redmine candidates and we
forgot to check duplicates already in the QGIS github repo.. Let's solve
this.

> - How should we handle milestones now? We've been using them up till
> now to tag PRs with their target version, and closing off milestones
> as each release is made. Now we've got a whole lot of outdated
> milestones (e.g. 2.14) because we have issues which were tagged to
> these milestones from the old "affected version" property. I don't
> think this is correct use of the milestone functionality, and would
> like to see it used only for release management (i.e. if a bug has a
> milestone, it's being targeted for fixing in that version*, so bug
> reports should always have ONLY future version milestones, not past
> versions). This would mean we'd need to change the affected version
> handling to labels. Is everyone OK with this?
>
>  milestone is a target, affected version is a descriptive information for
a bug. I don't see any milestone define in the repo. Did you already clean
this up? I'm not sure I get your point in fact, the affected version is
only a text comment in the issue body from what I see. Did I miss something?