[QGIS-Developer] QGIS server and metadata

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Fri Nov 1 03:42:08 PDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,
thanks, if I may weigh in here re. metadata:

Metadata remain key to whatever you do in computing and in the public eye.
Lack of standardized, and good and accepted, visionary metadata, are the
wide failure
of most (software) projects, and if they want to remain and be of wider,
global relevance.
While additional internal notes might be good, or useful, metadata must all
be public, as a scheme.

Now, people have thought about it for decades already,
and there are FGDC geospatial metadata to work from and to use.
Those are the high detail ISO standards, and beyond.
Without following those logics, and also the libraries, governments,
science funders etc
and their online repositories to link to, the metadata will go nowhere.

Metadata cannot, and must not, be done as a home brew and as a quick fix.
We see wide failures there in R and its analysis tools, or in GRASS GIS etc.
(=hand drawn manuals or internal reviews are not cutting it).

I refer people to the Metadata Wizard by USGS as one of several 'rocks'
and main pillars to consider here. Using Metadata Light instead are not
cutting it.

Arguably, innovation in metadata is good, but I assume technically it is
XML as the platform with the stylesheets etc in ISO.

Just my few 2 cents on the issue.
Very best
  Falk

PS There is an earlier plugin in QGIS that does FGDC metadata but it does
not work. Any pointers
on how to fix it ? That would be VAST progress and benefit QGIS indeed.