[QGIS-Developer] QGIS field calculator: issue with updating selected only features in combination with virtual field

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Nov 20 02:27:10 PST 2019

Hi,

We came across an inconsistency in the field calculator:

One can select the checkbox "Only update xx selected features" in
combination with creating a new virtual field. This is quite misleading
for the user, as the result is that all features (not only the selected
ones) are updated.

I see the following solutions:

- disable the checkbox "only update xx selected features" as soon as a
the field is created as virtual (the easy fix)

- change the behavior of virtual fields in order to really allow update
of selected features only. This would probably imply that we have to
store the primary keys of the selected features somewhere and can lead
to follow-up problems later on.

Any opinions on this?

Personally I would say that virtual fields cannot update "selected only
features" and disable that checkbox as soon as virtual fields are
created.

Andreas