[QGIS-Developer] LTR management [was Re: Delaying 3.10.1?]

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Nov 23 00:05:33 PST 2019

Hi all,

Il 22/11/19 23:20, Even Rouault ha scritto:

> Or one might consider a mixed approach to have a good compromise of agility vs
> tighter control:
> - use time-based approach, as done currently, for non-LTR versions.
> - formally approve the release of LTR versions, and important engineering
> decisions that affect them, as there are the ones with the most user exposure.
> Sometime ago I also suggested to possibly consider 2 phases in a LTR life-
> cycle: first half where quite "aggressive" backporting is accepted (if it
> doesn't break API, etc..), second half where a much more conservative approach
> is taken. It is rather obvious that a .0, .1 needs more stabilization than a .
> 12 or a .13
>
> Just food for thought :-)
>
> Even
>
> (*) even bugfix ones, which is admidetly sometimes a bit overkill

Thanks everybody for the analysis and the proposals.
IMHO the LTR should be as stable as possible, so I agree that changing
things now it's unfortunate.
An alternative is to freeze it, and don't release further updates. Are
there important bugfixes preventing us to do so?
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: