[QGIS-Developer] LTR management [was Re: Delaying 3.10.1?]

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sat Nov 23 13:25:06 PST 2019

Hi

Snip 8<--------------
> More background:
>
> * GDAL 3 requires PROJ 6
> * QGIS 3.10 has optional features that require GDAL 3,
> * GRASS uses OSGeo4W for dependencies on Windows,
> * GRASS also contributes the GRASS packages to OSGeo4W,
> * GRASS didn't support PROJ 6 & GDAL 3 until quite recently,
> * GRASS was therefore blocking the PROJ 6 and GRAL 3 updates in OSGeo4W,
> * GRASS' windows builds were not working for quite a while,
> * I introduced nightly builds of GDAL 3 and PROJ 6 next to the regular GDAL and
>  PROJ packages to OSGeo4W to be able to build the QGIS nightlies against GDAL
>  3 - because the main GDAL was blocked and QGIS 3.10 with the optional features
>  The release packages were still against GDAL 2.
> * The GRASS' builds were only revived after I tried to build myself and
>  contributed pull requests to fix their builds (and that still looked quite
>  familiar, because it still resembled much what I contributed years ago).
> * Those pull requests were also targeting on building GRASS with GDAL 3 and
>  PROJ 6 in OSGeo4W and gave an other already pending GRASS pull request (not
>  mine) that added GDAL 3 and PROJ 6 support a nudge and it was also merged
>  into GRASS 7.8.1.
> * When QGIS was released, GRASS was not yet released and there was no clear
>  time frame on that.  So in OSGeo4W GDAL was not updated yet and hence QGIS
>  was still built GDAL 2 and PROJ 6.
> * QGIS 3.4 supports PROJ6 - apparently not many people tried it. The LTR
>  nightlies in OSGeo4W were using it and Debian unstable also already provides
>  PROJ6.  Not many to test - but also not none.
> * People "asked" about the missing GDAL 3 features in QGIS 3.10.
> * I prepared testing packages of the upgrades (GDAL 3, PROJ 6, QGIS 3.4 and
>  3.10 and more) so that they could be used in the GRASS build, without meanwhile
>  breaking the rest.
> * Those were taken live along with the GRASS packages once those arrived.

8<————snip

> PPS: I also need something to punch ;)

I know we tend to complain freely and thank frugally so let me also say a big ’thank you’ for the work you put in trying to make your way through this technical stuff, juggling all these competing issues and trying to keep all the different personalities in the project happy. It’s an unenviable task and I really appreciate the level headed and thoughtful way you work through this stuff, thanks!

Thanks likewise to Nyall, just use a punch bag with the flat earth society logo on it so can remember why you are doing all this painful stuff :-P

Regards

Tim

—

Tim Sutton