[QGIS-Developer] Temporary folders for processing

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Nov 26 23:39:47 PST 2019

Hi Nyall,

On 2019-11-27 00:22, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> Why not just set the temp folder environment variable for the whole
> user account? QGIS isn't the only application which uses the temp
> folder for storing files. You'll likely run into issues elsewhere if
> we just work around this on the QGIS side alone...

Absolutely. If I were in charge of the system, I would do that. I would
put/connect additional disks in the application servers and point the
temp folder variable to something separate of the C: drive. But I/we are
not in charge of the system. We have to rely on our central IT services
on whom we have very limited influence. I think that many GIS
administrators, unfortunately, are in a similar situation: they have to
operate in very limited and restricted environments defined by their
central IT services. I will suggest to them to change the "temp"
variable anyway - but if they react on that request, it will take some
time ...

When we ran into this issue, I was also wondering - is QGIS really the
only application that creates larger files in our administration? And it
seems like it is. Hardly anyone in the organization works with graphics
files - and if they do, they have their own private PCs, and the typical
office files don't grow much.

Anyway - Matthias is looking into finding a solution with us.

Thanks,
Andreas