[QGIS-Developer] Some thought on LTR

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 03:07:19 PDT 2019

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 15:58, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> was this thread the more recent discussion/decision about what to backport in LTS?
>
> If I understand correctly, the judgment is left to the individual core developer who by chance happens to approve the backport PR.

Correct.

> I'm asking because I feel that we developers do not always agree about what to backport and what not, IMO if the backport
> 1. is a bugfix
> 2. it has a low risk [1] of side effects
> I don't see a valid reason for not doing the backport while I see a few advantages for the LTS users if the bugfix landed into LTS.
>
> In other word, and more importantly: do we have a strict policy that states that "ONLY PATCHES THAT FIX CRASHES OR DATA LOSS ARE ADMISSIBLE FOR BACKPORTING TO LTS"?

No..... BUT.... recently I've been pushing this view hard. I'm of the
firm belief that EVERY backport, regardless how trivial it appears,
brings with it risk. And at this stage in the life of the LTR I just
don't see the risks of regressions outweighing anything but
crash/corruption fixes.

To use an example, take https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/32068
"Disappearing Null representation in Range Widget on
QgsDoubleSpinBox". Tests aside, it's a one line, trival fix. But at
the same time, given the age of 3.4, users are well and truely used to
the current behavior (even if it's not ideal) and have learnt to live
with it. And if that 1 line change causes an unintended regression in
say... entering values in a spin box on non-english locales on
macos... the the consequence is disastrous.

So it's not a matter of just looking at the fix in isolation. It's a
risk management game of weighing up the (ever present) risk of
regression vs the severity of the original bug.

> If this is the case, I would recommend that we write it down in the developers docs and we start to label/close the LTS issues with "WON'T FIX"

Possibly, but it's very different early in the life of the LTR
release. It's only when we close in on the final rounds of patches for
a mature LTR release that I think the pace of chances should slow to a
trickle.

Nyall