[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-community-team] Why the QGIS docs team is struggling

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 03:04:28 PDT 2019

On 6/10/19 5:56 pm, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Thanks Cameron for your analysis. Could you please work out a budget
> according to your proposal?
> Cheers.
Paulo,

Working out a budget is something I'd like to postpone until after I've
heard what the core QGIS community has to say about these ideas. So far
I've described job descriptions. You could use back-of-the-envelope
calculations to convert these to costs.

I'm sitting on the fringes of the QGIS community, suggesting large
changes and don't have a clear indication as to whether these ideas are
considered valuable and realistic, or impractical and unwelcomed. Are
people paying lip service to wanting docs? Is the core team prepared to
divert some sponsorship from code to docs? I don't have insights into
how QGIS funding is sourced or distributed, or who potential sponsors
might be and what influences them, or even the sentiment of the community.

If I'm to be of further value, I'm going to need help from decision
makers within the core QGIS team.

Maybe start by answering some of these questions:

How much budget is currently allocated to docs? How much is unallocated?
What is docs budget currently spent on?
Is there potential to expand the docs budget?
Do you think companies would pay for docs, or to get training into the
core docs?
Are there companies who would hire/contribute an in-kind technical writer?
How would we approach these companies?
Do you think crowd funding would work?
Do you have an opinion on whether once off contracting or sustained
funding should be applied?
Should a part time retainer be offered?
Is a full time role justified? Are there sufficient funds for a full
time role?
Can you refer to relevant examples which could justify an approach?
Are there likely candidates in the community for the roles described -
in particular for the QGIS Docs Community Coordinator?

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254