[QGIS-Developer] 3.10 hard freeze?

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 03:35:32 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I am really confused about the hard freeze period, probably because I
am not able to explain it to anyone. Some questions:

- is there any place where the hard freeze is documented for coders and users?

- What is the expected benefit if we don't get real life testers
focused on testing?

- Isn't it a Release Candidate version we-cant'-say-its-name ? Why so?

- It seems to bring a lot of confusion between. It can cascade delays
for backports to previous LTR, if we postpone fixes, then we miss a
point release time frame, that sounds really strange to me.

- I didn't see any public announcement, so I doubt we get more tester
now than before the hard freeze tag. Did I miss something?

At this point, it doesn't look like a 'teething' problem to me.
I really start thinking we are trying to invent something that does
not exists somewhere else. We do that to try to consolidate our fixes,
which is a very valid reason.
While the attempt is nice,  I think the real issue is that we lack
beta testers. Shouldn't we rediscuss of  beta / RC releases with
installers, together with public annoucement. It is more packaging and
communication work, but I thinks this is where the most efficient
efforts rely.

I really miss a clear vision to be able to advertise it to our
funders. We are ni hard time already just explaining the roadmap and
the need for them to get in sync with it. The more complicated system
we build, the more they tend to fall back to just "wait" other test
the future LTR versions for them.
I am really concerned because I in my whole country, I identify at max
2 GIS administrators involved in testing developpement versions.

I'd appreciate any effort of explaining the rationales and how-to-use
of this hard freeze thing.

Regards
Régis