[QGIS-Developer] 3.10 hard freeze?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Oct 17 09:51:59 PDT 2019

Hi Tim

On 10/17/19 5:14 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
>> On 17 Oct 2019, at 12:11, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch
>> <mailto:matthias at opengis.ch>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On 10/17/19 12:35 PM, Régis Haubourg wrote:
>>> While the attempt is nice,  I think the real issue is that we lack
>>> beta testers. Shouldn't we rediscuss of  beta / RC releases with
>>> installers, together with public annoucement.
>>
>> I couldn't agree more on this.
>>
>> What we really have is a lack of communication prior to .0 releases.
>>
>> Is someone else motivated to sit together and work on a plan
>> regarding future release communication and beta releases?
>
> Well in the future I think we will be able to use the in application
> feed to appeal to our existing users to please test the upcoming
> release. Perhaps Jürgen could add some magic to his release scripts to
> push out something to the feed when the freeze hits….?

I think this will be one piece in the puzzle.

Next to this I'd like to see other measures, like a release being
labelled /"QGIS LTR 3.12 Beta 1"/ on the splash screen and possibly
other communicative measures by mail, blog, application news feed etc,
like Qt does for example https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-5.14.0-beta1-released .

I think it would be best to have a small group to discuss possibilities
and required efforts and come forward with a proposal.

Matthias