[QGIS-Developer] OTB and QGIS

Rashad Kanavath rashad.kanavath at c-s.fr
Fri Oct 18 03:33:08 PDT 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: QGIS-Developer [mailto:qgis-developer-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of matteo
Sent: vendredi 18 octobre 2019 11:27
To: qgis-developer
Subject: [QGIS-Developer] OTB and QGIS

Hi guys,

I found quite "difficult" to had OTB working within Processing. In Linux
I had to install (OTB of course) and another package (otb-qgis) and then
it appears in the Processing providers and seems now working.

This maybe a bug.

Otb-qgis package provides tools to generate descriptor files for otb alogirthms.
OTB processing provider uses this tool only if it cannot find a descriptor file which should be in package by default.

Good news is if there is otb-qgis package installed, it is able to create them on the fly and everything works.

A simple fix would be to add otb-qgis as a dependency to "otb" package. This must be done in debian package control!

> Are there any specific instructions to have it installed, also in Windows environments?

OTB  installation on windows is Download  and extract zip file from orfeo-toolbox.org/packages/

6.6.1 is latest https://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/packages/OTB-6.6.1-Win64.zip

You  can simply change location of OTB-X.Y.Z-Linux64 shown in README.md[1]  with  your OTB windows archive.

Idea:
Add download and extract of OTB into qgis windows installer?. Can be optional like GRASS. So windows users won't have to go through any stuff.

> If yes, could it be a good idea to add these instructions in the documentation?

Do you mean in qgis documentation ?

Configuration instructions are detailed in README.md[1]. Maybe this could show as help dialog in qgis ?

Not just for OTB, other providers can benefit from it.

https://gitlab.orfeo-toolbox.org/orfeotoolbox/qgis-otb-plugin/blob/master/README.md#open-processing-settings

Cheers and thanks

Matteo