[QGIS-Developer] QGIS server and metadata

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 08:40:59 PDT 2019

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 4:28 PM Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> apparently our server does not expose the metadata stored in the project
> and layer properties:
> * is this true?

There is a metadata section in the server configuration (Service
Capabilities) of the project properties, modeled on WMS/WFS metadata, they
are exposed. The sad thing is that when the new metadata framework was
developed it was not connected with the existing server metadata, so we
currently have two separate APIs for metadata, the old very limited one for
the server and the new one. On the other hand, the old existing API is
exactly what was required by WMS/WFS.

> * is there any reason for this, besides the usual lack of resources to
> implement it?

Not that I'm aware of.

> * anyone has estimates or plans to implement it?

Not that I'm aware of.

I though about it for WFS3 but I couldn't find the time/resources to do
anything (mainly because of missing API in the server), for now I've just
implemented what was available in the server's WFS code.

> Moreover, I wonder how users are managing their metadata from QGIS, now
> that several plugins that helped compiling them are not available for
> current versions. Any feedback will be appreciated.
> Cheers.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> QGIS.ORG Chair: