[QGIS-Developer] Performance issues while loading a big QGIS project

Bauer.Josef at swm.de Bauer.Josef at swm.de
Mon Sep 23 07:34:12 PDT 2019

Dear QGIS developers,

we are facing some crucial performance issues while loading a big QGIS project.

The project ...
... has 1080 layers
... has 167 layer groups
... is heavily styled (in fact, most of the information in the .qgs file are stylings)
... has a size of 53 MB (the .gqs file)
... loads the data from a PostGIS database

The main problem we are facing is, that the loading time of the .qgs file is between 10 and 15 Minutes (depending on the network traffic).
We don't need all the layers which are defined in the .qgs file immediately. In most cases, we just need a bunch of those layers at once.

Therefore, the question is, if QGIS provides a mechanism to postpone the initial loading of all layers from QGIS startup to the point in time when we actually need the layers? I.e., the layer structure is loaded but not the layer data.

Is there a build-in QGIS mechanism that allows loading only the needed layers from the .qgs file and write the appropriate styles to it or is it planned to implement such a mechanism in QGIS?

Kind regards,
Josef