[QGIS-Developer] Understanding plugin management in QGIS: Meta data fields

Sebastian M. Ernst ernst at pleiszenburg.de
Wed Apr 1 04:34:37 PDT 2020

Hi Etienne, Nyall,

thanks for your replies.

>> Then a plugin can have or not a processing provider (not related to the statement before).
>
> Just to expand on this -- this tag was added to aid in
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/34617 , [...]

Ok, this makes sense. I just tried to trace the use of this flag and -
as far as I can tell - it's only being looked at in
`QgsPythonUtilsImpl::pluginHasProcessingProvider` in
`/src/python/qgspythonutilsimpl.cpp`, which is not called at all (as of
today's master, at least). So just to be clear: The flag is not being
used *at the moment*?

With respect to my last remaining question:

> I understand that `id` is *the* unique identifier for a plugin.
> Eventually, it will be the folder name of the plugin module and it
> usually equals the name of the plugin distribution zip-file (without the
> `.zip` file extension). If this is correct: What's the purpose of
> `zip_repository`? Its description reads "the remote repository id".

What's the story behind `zip_repository`?

Best regards,
Sebastian