[QGIS-Developer] FME to QGIS functionality mapping

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Apr 7 00:34:27 PDT 2020

Hi Nyall,

Thank you for sharing this interesting document.

I have questions and remarks:

1. One fundamental difference between FME and QGIS modeler, as far as I
understand it, is the fact that FME data sources are much more tightly
coupled with the model than in QGIS modeler. This has the advantage,
that the data readers, transformers and writers always know what
geometry types and attributes they have. The disadvantage is that it is
harder to exchange data sources with sources that have other attributes.
In my experience the FME approach is what most users prefer. They like
the fact that they can always see at each transformer what attributes
are available at this stage. Would you see an improvement - perhaps
another modeler mode - where also QGIS modeler would be more tightly
coupled with the data sources and that the model and algorithms would
always know at any step what attributes are available at this stage? Or
is this a fundamental difference between the two approaches that
couldn't be bridged?

2. One aspect where FME shines is the ability to graphically debug
models. One can at every step in the model get the view (map and table)
of the intermediate step. One can also see at each branch in the model
how many features take this route and how many the other route. I know
this doesn't have anything to do with the transformer list you shared,
but this an aspect that I think, many users like about FME.

I agree that there would a lot of "low hanging" fruits and I'm looking
forward to more feature parity between the two. And to the discussion
around it.

Greetings,

Andreas