[QGIS-Developer] OSGeo4W Qt and OpenSSL versions

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Apr 15 11:37:29 PDT 2020

Hi Luigi,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 1:23 AM Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Larry
>
> Usually Jürgen attend issues or feature requests opened in the  OSGeo4W
> track.

Sure, but this has to do with QGIS using an outdated SSL library, by way of
Qt. Since upgrading Qt to 5.12.4+ may be a concern for QGIS developers, as
it is a huge dependency with potential for issues upon any upgrade (even
between minor versions), I felt it was worth bringing up here first.

If anyone here knows of a reason why Qt for OSGeo4W should not be upgraded
from 5.11 to 5.12.4+, because of issues this may present in QGIS, please
describe them.

Of course, there may still be packaging reasons or issues blocking an
upgrade of Qt packages (they can be quite time consuming to work with),
However, if there is a significant issue with regards to QGIS, then it
should probably be discussed first.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography