[QGIS-Developer] using conda for development

Ari Meyer ari.meyer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 23:49:48 PDT 2020

Obrigado, Alexandre, for all the details. :-)  I guess I'm still baffled
by, "Conda-forge community always tries to use the most recent version of
all dependencies."  It just seems like a "recipe" for disaster -- just
built on assumptions.  Maybe you get lucky and everything just happens to
work.  Or maybe you get slightly less lucky and encounter breakages
immediately, forcing you to fiddle with the build until you find some
combination that seems to work, if you can't pin the versions.  Or maybe
you get unlucky and everything builds and *seems* to work based on the
extent of your testing, but your testing may have important gaps.

In my previous contract I was using PyViz, which was rebranded as HoloViz.
As that set of libraries was immature and constantly in flux, and we wanted
to take advantage of new features/fixes, our policy was to go with the
latest releases.  I wasn't comfortable with this, esp. after enduring many
problems, but we just dealt with bugs and regressions as they came up.
QGIS, though, is much more mature, after more than a decade since 1.0 was
released (2009 according to Wiki).  I assumed, therefore, that they
wouldn't trust such a hit-or-miss strategy with dependencies.  But maybe
I'm just being a worry wart. ;-)  In any case, I'm going to be hard-pressed
to sell conda to my team if the dependencies are out of sync with those of
the installers.