[QGIS-Developer] Point cloud processing

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 22:46:26 PDT 2020

Hi John,

Many thanks for pointing to the WhiteboxTools. I was not personally aware
of this.

A general note about the plan for supporting point cloud data in QGIS: for
the first phase (the one we are currently running a crowdfunding campaign
for) the idea is to add a new data provider (similar to vector, raster,
mesh) to handle point cloud data. This will allow users to visualise and
style the data. It will also be the first and necessary step towards
opening up the rest of QGIS (e.g. the processing toolbox) to make use of
the new data provider.

In terms of shipping WhiteboxTool with QGIS, I will leave it to others to
comment on, but I know there has been some efforts to discourage shipping
extra tools with QGIS and instead working with developers of other
processing providers to integrate their tools as a Processing plugin.

Kind regards
Saber

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 16:43, John Lindsay <jlindsay at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> This is one of the first times that I've posted to this list-serv, so I
> hope you'll forgive my ignorance if this is an inappropriate venue for
> this. I've noticed from a Twitter announcement that QGIS is pursuing native
> point cloud capabilities. I thought that this would be a good time that at
> the moment there is a substantial amount of LiDAR data processing
> capability that can be derived by using the WhiteboxTools QGIS front-end,
> and in particular the LiDAR processing toolbox
> <https://jblindsay.github.io/wbt_book/available_tools/lidar_tools.html>.
> The QGIS front-end is maintained by Alex Bruy, and I know that there has
> been interest in the past in including this in the main QGIS development
> branch such that WBT could be a standard toolset, much like how the SAGA
> and GRASS tools are now. I'm wondering, as you are thinking about enhancing
> QGIS's point cloud capabilities, if this is an opportune time to have that
> broader discussion of inclusion of WBT. While I have developed WBT to be
> front-end agnostic, and there are other front-ends for ArcGIS, Python, and
> R, the QGIS front-end is personally the most important of these to me. I
> would be very pleased for these tools to be distributed as a core component
> of QGIS if there is a willingness to do so among this members of this group.
>

> Regards,
>
> Dr. John Lindsay, Associate Professor
>
> Dept. of Geography, Environment & Geomatics,
>
> The University of Guelph,
> Room 346, Hutt Building,
> E-mail: jlindsay at uoguelph.ca
>
> Phone: (519) 824-4120 ext. 56074