[QGIS-Developer] sudden performance issues with my QGIS installation

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Dec 1 04:58:31 PST 2020

Hi Andreas,

As a user, I wonder (out loud) if the Browser Panel should be hidden by
default, in future QGIS versions.  This would avoid this common issue of
slowing down QGIS for new users, and give the new user a guaranteed
positive QIGS first-use experience.  Has there been any discussion on
this possibility?  I was surprised to read here that it is the opposite
case, where devs are promoting use of the browser panel more and more.

I just thought that I'd share my longtime-user opinion, and hopefully
not sound too negative.  I just feel disabling the browser panel by
default would prevent so many issues for new users (and the advanced
users can turn it on for their use when they need it).  So, benefit the
new users, and cause the devs an extra button click to enable :)

Related: when I give QGIS training, it is the first thing I instruct, to
close the browser panel as it causes network issues often.

thanks,

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna