[QGIS-Developer] [RHEL][QGIS Server] Installation questions and advices

João Gaspar joao.f.r.gaspar at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 11:58:53 PST 2020

Dear devs,
I hope you are fine.

Recently the IT department of my company asked me if it's possible to
install the latest QGIS Server version in RHEL 8.3.

So I did a little research.

Apparently, RHEL 8.3 is based on Fedora 29[1]. In this last RHEL 8.3, the
technical notes said that they adapted dnf manager [2] as default for this
and next RHEL releases. I was excited and went to Dani QGIS fedora repo to
install in RHEL but the latest builds are based in recent Fedora releases.
It's possible to have QGIS servers recent builds of Fedora in an RHEL based
on an old Fedora release?

So I think as well in Docker as an alternative inside RHEL but
apparently, they will not support officially docker in the future starting
in this release 8.3 [3] and they will switch to podman, is possible to
change but have a limitation for know don't have a tool equal to
docker-compose (there is a workaround[4,5,6]). It's possible to install
Docker but won't by supported official for RHEL [7].

In the end, I can always try to convince them to use other types of Linux
distro server such as ubuntu server ou fedora server, what do you think?

Based on these thoughts what kind of path can I follow? Please correct me
if I said something wrong or don't make sense.

If someone wants to read more about this, I'm sharing my little research
links about this topic.

Links:
1- Matrix compatibility Fedora RHEL
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/fedora-and-red-hat-enterprise-linux/

2- Using the dnf manager system (Chapter 6.1)
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_8/index

3- Change Docker to Podman (Chapter 20)
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_8/index

4 - Podman and buildah for docker users
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2019/02/21/podman-and-buildah-for-docker-users/

5 - Transitioning from Docker to Podman
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2020/11/19/transitioning-from-docker-to-podman/

6 - Moving from docker-compose to Podman pods
https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/compose-podman-pods

7- How to install docker in RHEL 8:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-docker-in-rhel-8

Best regards,