[QGIS-Developer] Environmental policy

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Thu Jan 16 15:33:22 PST 2020

Hi,

1) I don't think QGIS.ORG was created to educate people. QGIS.ORG is
doing the job quite well and doesn't have to follow the latest fashion
trends.

2) If QGIS.ORG starts to educate people about environmental issues, the
next step will be about ethical, moral, gender, religion, etc, as we saw
in some emails. Should QGIS.ORG prevent alcoholic drinks (like beer) in
the events? Or unhealthy practices, like smoking or programming for a
couple of hours without regular intervals?

3) QGIS.ORG should follow the open source values and support the ones
that contribute to the project and should care about overall QGIS ecosystem.

3) Each of us have to decide if train is better, car sharing, walking,
etc, according to our own lives. Some might have young children, a sick
spouse or elder parents and prefer the plane instead of train.

4) QGIS.ORG should simple welcome and support the developers asking for
support. QGIS.ORG didn't ask about gender, religion, or anything else
before. So, I don't think we should start asking about eating habits and
so on. We will end up asking about the civil registration of the birth
of children or the spouse's medical record to be eligible for a plane
refund.

In summary, each of us needs his own "environmental policy". QGIS.ORG
doesn't have to have one.

See you soon in 's-Hertogenbosch!

Jorge Gustavo

On 16/01/20 11:21, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all,
> following the interesting proposal by Andreas, I'm here starting a
> discussion about QGIS.ORG environmental policy:
>
> * do we need an explicit environmental policy?
> * probably our greatest impact is travel for Developers Meetings
>   * do we need in person general meetings, or we can promote more
> extensive and structured use of remote connections?
>   * if we need it, do we need two meetings per year?
>   * do we want to plan our meetings in an optimal location, to minimize
> total travel?
>   * do we want a combination between the two: smaller local meetings
> that reduce travel, coordinated across the globe?
>   * do we want to suggest|gently push|require participants to use low
> impact transportation?
>   * do we want a cap on cost and time difference between transportation
> method? e.g. train is to be used when cost or duration are no more than
> x times flight cost or duration
> * do we want to engage in proactive environmental actions? e.g. donating
> to the environmental agencies|NGOs|etc. specific tools to evaluate and
> reduce impact? e.g. a QGIS ad hoc grant with a specific budget for it
> * do we want additional actions? e.g. low impact (vegan) diet on Dev
> Meetings?
>
> I tried to collect options and ideas, please do not take these as my
> personal preferences.
> Given the wide interest and impact of this theme, I encourage an open
> and friendly discussion involving also non PSC members. Please be gentle.
> Following this I'll call for a vote on specific items.
> Cheers.

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha