[QGIS-Developer] Why does QGIS frequently get flagged by Trend Micro?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jan 27 16:38:40 PST 2020

"Moskovitz, Bob at DOC" <Bob.Moskovitz at conservation.ca.gov> writes:

> Hello All,
>
> I've noticed that QGIS 3.10.2-2 (and previous versions) would crash and then get flagged by Trend Micro with the following 2 "Security Threat":
>
>   *   TSC_GENCLEAN https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/threat-encyclopedia/malware/TSC_GENCLEAN
>   *   Unauthorized File Encryption https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/threat-encyclopedia/search/unauthorized%20file%20encryption
>
> I don't know if the crashes are caused by the Trend Micro, but it would be great if I can figure out what QGIS is doing to trigger Trend.  Can anyone tell me how these "Security Threats" are related to how QGIS works?

This question should be addressed to Trend Micro, to explain what it is
they are flagging, and why it is a legitimate complaint.  Software like
Trend Micro is almost always proprietary and opaque, so people other
than the company simply cannot answer questions like the one you are
asking.  I would not be surprised if it is some pattern-matching false
positive.