[QGIS-Developer] FYI: Qt LTS Releases To Be Restricted To Commercial Customers

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Jan 28 01:49:55 PST 2020

Hi,

On Tue, 28. Jan 2020 at 09:27:30 +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> > "The offline installer will become available to commercial licensees only"

> This is the biggest impact. I understand that osgeo4w qt libraries are based
> off the offline installer packages (correct me if I'm wrong here Jürgen!).
> The consequence of this is that we'd need to self-build Qt libraries for
> inclusion in osgeo4w and the QGIS installers. Outcome: more work for the
> Windows installer maintainers̶.

I tried to avoid the building because that takes ages - and we maybe have other
advantages by using the "standard" binaries.

I originally thought that we could also upgrade the compiler with the update,
but the compiler we were already using was the last the installer offered 32
and 64bit builds - at the time - so I kept using that.

qtwebkit had to be built extra anyway - which is also huge (maybe even larger
than Qt itself) and later I found that qtwebengine wasn't builtin as well,
which is also a huge build.

So I'm not sure that using the installer instead of building myself saved much
at all.  IIRC webkit used to be the most time consuming part of the build in
earlier versions.

Another side note: azure pipelines will phase out the image carrying the 2015
compiler we use in march - not sure if we can install 2015 on the fly, that was
what didn't work in github workflows (producing an internal compiler error at
some point)…

BTW which is the version that has the fixes we contracted KDAB on?

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de