[QGIS-Developer] Not all QGIS 3.10.2 downloads did contain the upgraded GDAL and PROJ versions (Re: What GDAL and PROJ versions with 3.10.2?)

Raphael Das Gupta raphael.das.gupta at hsr.ch
Tue Jan 28 04:15:31 PST 2020

Hi again

On 20.01.20 11:45, pergler at gmail.com wrote:

> I installed 3.10.2 (OSGeo4W installer) over the weekend, and I’m
> running into a bunch of issues (zoom crashes -
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/33902; corrupted output from
> georeferencer, custom CRS that has lost its USER:xxxxx label). Before
> I try to pick them off one by one, is it possible the right
> dependencies didn’t make it into the install?
>
> My About… screen says I have GDAL 3.0.2 and PROJ “6.2.1 dated Nov 1”,
> which makes me suspicious.

Apparently, the first Windows builds of release 3.10.2 still included
older versions of GDAL/OGR and PROJ. See this thread
<https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2020-January/thread.html#59948>
on this list.
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2020-January/060001.html
seems to indicate that 3.10.2 was re-released some time before
3.10.2 before that, you should re-download it* to not suffer from the
bugs of the old library versions.

I don't know why the 3.10.2 was re-released instead of releasing 3.10.3
with the upgraded library versions as suggested in that mailing list
thread (here
<https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2020-January/059983.html>
and here
<https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2020-January/059986.html>).
Releasing it as 3.10.3 would have made it more clear to users, which
version they actually downloaded and would have been more in line with
semantic versioning concepts. (I dunno whether QGIS aims to follow
semantic versioning conventions.)

Kind regards,
Raphael