[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Server visibility and documentation

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Mon Jul 6 15:29:56 PDT 2020

Hi all,

A dedicated logo and a dedicated landing page would be great (we could
use server.qgis.org for example). Part of QGIS Server "identity" problem
is because people think it as some QGIS additional feature. Not as
something that can be deployed in a headless server, independently of
QGIS. In fact, QGIS and QGIS Server share the same code base, but from a
functional point of view, they are different applications, for different
purposes. As developers, we put all the code in the same repo, but as
marketeers, we should sell two different products :-)

People looking for "map servers" should go there. Developers/sysops
should be able to deploy new QGIS Server instances from there.

Thank you Alexandre for volunteer. Julien, as far as I understood, will
lead this QEP implementation. Thank you both.

Regards,

Jorge

On 06/07/20 21:55, Alexandre Neto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I agree the QGIS server deserves its own "document" in QGIS docs.
>
> I Wouldn't mind assisting with that. Always a good opportunity to learn
> more about it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Alexandre
>
> A segunda, 6/07/2020, 15:36, Julien Cabieces
> <julien.cabieces at oslandia.com <mailto:julien.cabieces at oslandia.com>>
> escreveu:
>

>     Hi,
>
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > During our recent meeting about QGIS Server it was pointed out that
>     > QGIS Server does not have all the visibility that it deserves.
>     >
>     > One of the possible actions is to move the server documentation to its
>     > own independent chapter.
>     >

>     +1
>
>     > The server documentation is now mainly mainly buried deep under
>     >
>     https://docs.qgis.org/3.10/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_ogc/server/index.html
>     >
>     > A few other resources are in:
>     > the training manual:
>     >
>     https://docs.qgis.org/3.10/en/docs/training_manual/qgis_server/index.html
>     > and
>     >
>     https://docs.qgis.org/3.10/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/server.html
>     >
>     > I was wondering this activity a could be performed as a part of the
>     > paid/funded activity
>     > https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/184
>
>     Yes, I believe it should. We'll do it while we realize the QEP.
>
>     >
>     > Kind regards

J. Gustavo
--