[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Updates to the way changelog entries are managed

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Jul 7 01:02:05 PDT 2020

Hi

> On 7 Jul 2020, at 08:26, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
> Thanks Charles and Tim,
>
> I this kind of semi-automated process with clear rules is a very good balance for increasing changelog quality and decreasing the load on developers to write changelog entries last minute.

Great - I was thinking we should put the notes from this thread somewhere so that people can discover it…..maybe in the PR template like we have for bug reports?

> If we want some tech-fancy stuff in the backend, a github workflow could be written that checks for the "Feature" label. If that tag is present it will require either a `# Changelog` title or a "No Changelog" label. As long as this is missing it will not be possible to merge. Happy to lend a hand if you want to follow this road.

Yes that would be super if Nyall and friends agree, thanks! It will go a long way to making sure that things dont get merged if they are features and are not clear enough for the changelog writers.

If you or Nyall are up for adding Changelog fields in the PR template for ‘Feature’ designated PR's here are the data items we include for each entry:

Category one of:

3D Features
Analysis Tools
Application and Project Options
Browser
Data Management
Data Providers
Diagrams
Digitising
Documentation
Expressions
Forms and Widgets
General
Labelling
Layer Legend
Map Tools
Mesh
Notable Fixes
Plugins
Print Layouts
Processing
Programmability
QGIS Server
Rendering
Symbology
Temporal
User Interface

Feature Title: (probably same as PR title)

Feature image:

Image credits:

Video link:

Funded by: