[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Server and the Grants programme

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Tue Jun 9 01:38:08 PDT 2020

Hi Andreas, (& All),
A fair point, but I believe this is an important point and this year I
do have data to back up my point; in fact the grant program is what
motivated me to finally get around to doing this analysis.

It seems from the replies that while there are a few differentiators,
the key one is indeed cartography and styling. (There's also an
interesting conversation about vectors going on there too). Some thoughts:
* The vast majority of WMS/WMTS layers are not cartographically
complicated, let alone beautiful. They're "here is a layer with small
green points for trees", and "this polygon represents conservation
areas". You can easily play around and see what's out there here:
http://www.geoseer.net/api-demo/
* WFS/WCS can't be styled server side.
* It seems like overkill to create and maintain an entire server
distribution that fundamentally only solves one (relatively simple
compared to what QGIS Desktop can do) problem.
* Rendering is only one part the QGIS package (Analysis, digitisation,
management, etc.).

If I'm honest, the "competition" on this point isn't really between QGIS
and MapServer/GeoServer. It's really between QGIS and ArcGIS. Because
ArcGIS does exactly what QGIS Server seeks to do: offer a single
integrated solution for Desktop-> Server. And certainly ArcGIS Server
does have a huge number of deployments (53%), however again, there
really aren't many cartographically complicated outputs on there. And
despite the huge number of deployments, most services and datasets are
actually served by MapServer/GeoServer (about 60% of datasets between
them!). Basically ArcGIS is deployed by local government and used for
bitty-stuff ("here are our fire stations"), but if you want a real
data-service then you go with GeoServer/MapServer/etc.

Most importantly though, I think I haven't conveyed my core point well:
this really is a zero sum game!
Even allowing for the above, any funds spent on QGIS Server are not
spent on QGIS Desktop. There are 60 public facing QGIS Server
deployments. Even assuming that there's a ratio of 10:1 for
private/public servers (made up ratio, feels too high), any funding on
QGIS Server benefits only hundreds, or being very generous, maybe
low-thousands number of users. Funding on QGIS Desktop however benefits
as a *minimum* tens of thousands, potentially millions of users (no idea
how many QGIS installs there are, I can't find the download-stats I
remember seeing in the past).
Heck, even pretending for a second QGIS Server had 100% of the
deployments (a 100 fold increase!), there would /still/ be orders of
magnitude more people using the not-Server parts of QGIS Desktop by its
very nature.

There are 3,102 open issues on the QGIS issue tracker. 95 are labelled
regressions, 137 are "high priority", and 92 are "crash/data
corruption". Just 49 are "Server". I'm not seeking to denigrate the
project here; QGIS is a extremely complex tool that is an amazing
accomplishment and by its nature it will have bugs. I raise these
numbers to highlight that any money spent on Grants to Server (and yes
new Desktop features) is money that isn't spent fixing these (I'm aware
of the bug-fixing fund). Something I think the grant voters should be
cognizant of.

Hope that clarifies,
I'll step back now. :-)
Cheers,