[QGIS-Developer] GeoSeer ogc services data harvesting

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Tue Jun 9 04:46:29 PDT 2020

Hi Andreas,

Interesting.

Behind the scenes, GeoSeer one-way hashes the GetCapabilities documents
and that hash is used as the document key. Identical GetCapabilities
documents therefore get the same key and thus only appear once in the
final index. But one single character different in the entire document
and it's a completely different hash.

There's also de-duplication at the endpoint, service, and dataset levels
using a similar mechanism. GeoSeer also de-duplicates across services.
I.e. if something is served from the same place as both WMS and WFS, we
glue them together.

The problem with using DNS is that you get organisations the size of
NOAA/USGS and they have deployments across various subdomains that are
doing different (but similar) things. You also get a kind of opposite -
a single domain belonging to a geospatial "cloud" hosting provider that
has lots of layers that have the same names and similar metadata because
all their local-government customers are sharing their own
fire-stations/roads etc.

There are all manner of ways in which server admins and data custodians
make this more complicated than it seems. :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan