[QGIS-Developer] webp for qgis server ?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Jun 9 04:57:18 PDT 2020

Hi Andreas,

On 6/9/20 1:47 PM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Hi Marco,
>
> I agree. WebP would be interesting. It could potentially replace both
> png and jpeg - if encoding and decoding is fast and if filesize can
> compete. The good thing of WebP compared with JPEG is that it supports
> transparency.

Exactly  !

> According to your brief study, it seems to score well regarding file
> size, but not so well performance wise - correct?

Encoding and decoding performance seems to be a bit worse. But this
could be compensated by the smaller size and faster transfer.

> The performance that you measure - is this about time to create the
> files - right?

The times are rendering times (decoding).

> What about opening and rendering on the client? That's the other side
> of the medal.
>
> Does qt support WebP?

Yes

> Regarding your blog post: can you perhaps better explain what PNG_JPEG
> means? A PNG as a container with JPEG compression inside? Or what is it?

Have a look at the GDAL driver page
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/gpkg.html

[ ... ] PNG tiles will be used to store tiles that are not completely
opaque [ ... ]

> Regarding tif: could you share your creation parameters? In my
> experience tiff performs much better than what you experience (both in
> file size and speed) if you use proper compression and creation
> parameters. E.g. you can use JPEG compression inside tiff and then you
> should have more or less the same file size as with jpeg. tiff is just
> the container, but there are thousand of combinations of creation
> options that have a very, very significant impact on perfomance and
> file size.

Can you ask this question directly as a comment on the blog post? Lucie
who is not in the office created the post and has all the parameters.

Bests

Matthias