[QGIS-Developer] Make Distance and Angle dialogs dockable?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jun 10 00:00:26 PDT 2020

On 6/10/20 8:23 AM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 16:21, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using the Measuring tools now on a dual screen setup, the angle tool
>> pops up very much out of sight every time.
>> Either the position is not remembered (if I am correct the line
>> measuring tool pops up above my screen always).
>>
>> But would it be an idea to make these dialogs dockable? Then a user can
>> put them wherever she wants, but also can detach it if needed?
>>
>> Or is there some practical reason to have dialogs?
>
> I think this is desirable. I'm fairly certain there's an open ticket
> for it, too.

Another observation (I'm using the angle tool to check if the angle
between two lines in the field are 90 degrees, and have to switch  'snap
to lines' on/of in the middle of the readng (and 'snap to intersection'
enabled):

The dropdown to switch between 'Vertex/Segment/Area' is not very
mouse-friendly: (de)selecting one does not close it (because it is a
multiselect, I understand). But now you have to 'escape' to close it, in
the middle of a reading.

Wouldn't it be better to make these checkbox-buttons? The drawback
offcourse being the snaptool-toolbar being enlarged with 4 buttons...

But let me end with noting that I find the snapping/tracing tools a
breeze to work with in QGIS !!!

Regards,
Richard