[QGIS-Developer] Grids vs Grid-style Labeling?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Jun 11 00:33:03 PDT 2020

Hi Devs,

See https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/37028

@hrdrckx does a feature request for a button in view>decorations>grid to
set the color.

My idea first was to point @hrdrckx to the 'Create Grid' processing
function, but then I realized it is a hassle to setup 'grid-like labels
along the mapcanvas'... IF it is possible with our already VERY advanced
labeling functions

I also looked at the Layout map item grid tools

What do others think is most efficient:

- just add a color button in the decorations dialog (should be not too
difficult? Though next question will be: can I also make it bold :-) )

- create a labeling regime which places labels on the edge of the
mapcanvas (like the grid decoration)

The second option is (maybe) also useful for other cartographic
functions (???). And we could add a button to the processing dialog 'Add
grid labels' and maybe cleanup old grid/decorations code an let the menu
point to the processing then?

Or am I trying to efficient/cleaning...

Regards & Thanks for any input,

Richard Duivenvoorde