[QGIS-Developer] QGIS for Apple: Intel vs. arm

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jun 24 06:17:27 PDT 2020

On mercredi 24 juin 2020 11:53:37 CEST Peter Petrik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As building on iOS already works (
> https://github.com/lutraconsulting/input-sdk/tree/master/ios), I imagine it
> would be possible to  run another architecture build for MacOS with a
> similar approach. It is in Apple's interest to facilitate transition to
> developers. To evaluate how hard it would be, that is more tricky at this
> point. First of all, Qt has to support this new architecture, I haven't
> found a statement from them yet if they plan it and when. So even Qt
> supports it (hopefully from Qt5 releases and not Qt6), we have to build all
> the deps with the new architecture, which takes some time to create
> recipes. And of course find a hardware where it all can be built (probably
> another machine , yes). Not saying that it is very frustrating to do
> development of such a new package if you do not own such hardware
> yourself...

One point I've in mind with my GDAL hat on is that GDAL has a number of x86 specific speed
optimizations using SIMD intrinsincs in warping/reprojection resampling, overview/rasterio
resampling, statistics computation, hillshading, gdalgrid. Currently we have no accelaration
for other architectures.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com