[QGIS-Developer] Can't get "qgis_global_settings.ini" working with QGIS 3.10 LTR

François francois+qgis at kubler.org
Tue Jun 30 08:10:52 PDT 2020

Hi,

(This message is mostly a copy of the GitHub issue I opened here yesterday : https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/37482)

I'm trying to deploy QGIS (3.10.7-A Coruña) and a few plugins in a corporate environment under macOS >= 10.14.

I'd like to put the plugins in their own directory (i.e. /Library/Application Support/QGIS/QGIS3/plugins/) so I can easily upgrade things independently.

My idea was to create a global config file with customEnvVars set to "append|QGIS_PLUGINPATH=/Library/Application Support/QGIS/QGIS3/plugins/" and customEnvVarsUse set to true (+maybe some other stuff).

From what I've read here and there (and also from QGIS source code), putting a file named qgis_global_settings.ini in one of the StandardPaths should be enough for QGIS to pick it up.
(That’s what I see when looking at QGIS/src/app/main.cpp on line 908).

But for some reason, it just doesn’t work :-(

If I launch QGIS from the command line with the --globalsettingsfile option set to /Library/Application Support/QGIS/QGIS3/plugins/, it works as expected (but that's obviously not a solution for the end-users).

Also, I did some testings today and it seems to work as expected with QGIS 3.14.

Is there something special to do to get it working with the LTR version ?
Or is this related to something that’s been fixed after 3.10 ? In this case, are you planning to backport this ?

Thanks a lot for your hard and precious work,

--
François