[QGIS-Developer] Concerns about translations and QGIS overall credibility

Raymond Nijssen r.nijssen at terglobo.nl
Tue Jun 30 10:33:50 PDT 2020

On 30-06-2020 18:26, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> That probably depends on the topography and ruggedness in your country
> ;-) in german language we have translations for these terms:
>
> "Analytische Schattierung" or "Schummerung" and "Rauhigkeitsindex".

But we have 40 words for 'flat' Andreas! :P

Same problem for the Dutch language, some translations are too literally
and usually really funny but not helpful at all if you want to
understand QGIS.
I often tell people in my course to consider using English. It is not
just more clear and accurate, but also easier when you need to google
your way around in QGIS. Googling for 'uitdrukking voor mazen berekenen'
will not give you many QGIS related results.

I like the idea of installing English by default, or better, let the
user choose during or right after installation. This way it is a more
conscious choice.

I also like the idea of having a .tr_ignore list with terminology that
should not be translated. But it will indeed be different for every
language. So maybe local dk_ignore, nl_ignore, de_ignore? Maintained by
the local translation teams?

Recently I was translating Input on transifex and was pleased by the
screen shots they added. They gave me a lot of context and I'm sure they
made my translations more accurate. Could we use that in QGIS as well?

And a bout the laughing people during courses, just tell them they can
fix it themselves and are very welcome to. Then they usually turn very
quiet.

Regards,
Raymond