[QGIS-Developer] Explicit policy re bug fixing responsibilities after new features

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:55:05 PDT 2020

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 03:31, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've always felt it was an implicit agreement, but I totally agree
> that making it explicit is a good idea.

Yep, it's been more or less "understood" practice for some time, but
I'd like it to be official so there's no room for misunderstand.

> Where exactly would you suggest to add that kind of statements?

I'd put it in a new section under
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/developers_guide/  Maybe
something like "development policies"?

We could word it something like:

"While new feature submissions are always highly appreciated, every
feature added to QGIS comes with an associated maintenance burden for
the project. Accordingly, some policies exist to avoid placing this
burden on the existing QGIS development team:
- Following any new feature development, it is the original
developer's (or organisations) SOLE responsibility to proactively
monitor and implement bug fixes relating to the new feature (or
regressions to other parts of QGIS which have resulted from its
development). This extends up to the next major QGIS release following
the feature being merged*. It is NOT acceptable to use QGIS.org
sponsored bug fixing efforts to implement these fixes. Failure to
provide fixes to all reasonable bug reports raised for a
new feature may lead to that feature being reverted prior to release.
- After this major release, the developer is still expected to monitor
the bug tracker for issues relating to their work and implement
reasonable fixes at their own expense.
"

Nyall