[QGIS-Developer] Understanding plugin management in QGIS - exposing QgsPluginRegistry to Python?

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Sun Mar 15 12:14:27 PDT 2020

Dnia niedziela, 15 marca 2020 12:50:04 CET Sebastian M. Ernst pisze:

> As far as I can
> see it, C++ plugins have to be compiled with QGIS anyway. At runtime,
> all a user can do is to activate or deactivate them. Borys, am I
> understanding this correctly?

Yes

> If a *minimal* C++ GUI would allow exactly
> that, you could reduce a lot of the complexity. The rest could
> (following my instinct) cleanly be written in Python. I.e. if (and only
> if) Python is present, a fully featured plugin manager (for C++ *and*
> Python plugins) could drop in and *replace* the simple C++ plugin on/off
> manager GUI. How about that?

It would work, too.

I don't have any strong opinion about the two opposite directions and don't
want to take the floor, as I probably won't be able to contribute. I was
thinking about refactoring the Installer (what I terribly wrote being a
newbie) as well as rewritting the Manager with QtQuick for years, but never
found enough time for quite a big task.

Regards,

Borys