[QGIS-Developer] [Processing][Article] Evaluation of Effective Cognition for the QGIS Processing Modeler

João Gaspar joao.f.r.gaspar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:28:59 PDT 2020

Dear devs,

While I was doing article research and I found this article about
Processing Modeler that was published in February 2020.

I don't know if one of you were aware of this or if this can help to
improve the Processing Modeler. I thought this can be useful that was the
reason to share with you.

This is the abstract:
*This article presents an evaluation of the QGIS Processing Modeler from
the point of view of effective cognition. The QGIS Processing Modeler uses
visual programming language for workflow design. The functionalities of the
visual component and the visual vocabulary (set of symbols and line
connectors) are both important. The form of symbols affects how workflow
diagrams may be understood. The article discusses the results of assessing
the Processing Modeler’s visual vocabulary in QGIS according to the Physics
of Notations theory. The article evaluates visual vocabularies from the
older QGIS 2.x and newer 3.x versions. The paper identifies serious design
flaws in the Processing Modeler. Applying the Physics of Notations theory
resulted in certain practical recommendations, such as changing the fill
colour of symbols, increasing the size and variety of inner icons, removing
functional icons, and using a straight connector line instead of a curved
line. Another recommendation was to provide a supplemental preview window
for the entire model in order to improve user navigation in huge models.
Objective eye-tracking measurements validated some results of the
evaluation using the Physics of Notations. The respondents read workflows
to solve different tasks and their gazes were tracked. Evaluation of the
eye-tracking metrics revealed the respondents’ reading patterns of the
diagram. Evaluation using both Physics of Notation theory and eye-tracking
measurements inspired recommendations for improving visual notation. A set
of recommendations for users is also given, which can be applied easily in
practice using a contemporary visual notation.*

Is open access:
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3417/10/4/1446/htm

Best regards,
João Gaspar aka James