[QGIS-Developer] QGIS logger plugin in core

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 15:42:06 PDT 2020

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 at 01:53, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> A while ago we had a discussion here on the mailing list about adding Network logging to QGIS, similar to what you can do in your browser[1]. Nyall at the time (maybe others) was concerned about security implications of including a network logging tool in QGIS. We were wondering what specific security impacts could be expected (as opposed to for example installing Richard’s very nice logger plugin)[2]? In other words, is there really a good rationale not to port this to C++ and integrate into QGIS core? I think it is very broadly useful for anyone working with remote layers and trying to figure out why they are not loading...

I'm a tentative +1 now. My original security concerns were dismissed
because... well.. we can't really stop this information leaking anyway
(cos Qt), so a malicious plugin will always be able to capture the
requests. In fact, having it in c++ will potentially lower the risk,
cos there's less need for 3rd party plugins to cover this use case
(that said: Richard maintains the existing Network Logger plugin, so
that one can be implicitly trusted -- this concern would only extend
to other future network logger style plugins from other sources!).

Also, it's **extremely** useful.

Now, some thoughts:
- it would **definitely** need to be ported to c++. The plugin has an
issue where it slows down after logging and displaying many requests
in the tree. Both Richard and I spent considerable time trying to
avoid this, with minimal results. A c++ version should give us more
flexibility to address the performance issue. (and note: this IS a
serious issue, as it can cause the whole QGIS UI to slow, not just the
network logger dock)
- some nice icons are definitely required :)

Nyall