[QGIS-Developer] QGIS logger plugin in core

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Mar 23 00:54:29 PDT 2020

Hi,

I'm ok with pulling it (or a slim version) into c++..

What is the main reason to pull it into QGIS? Because it started of as a
hack using some events from QgsNetworkManager. Nyall then added a lot
more events so more information could be retrieved.
But the plugin itself is actually nothing more then 'catching' those
events and showing them. Most stuff is gui  stuff.

So: what would be the actual benefit (except that everybody will have
it... mmm, also people never working with web-based data....)?

Also note that this started of as a slim/simple tool, just logging the
url's to the QMessageLog, see this version and screenshot:

https://github.com/rduivenvoorde/qgisnetworklogger/tree/V0.1.0

I agree with Nyall that current implementation has some limitations,
mainly because of the nice treeview and the lookups that occur to fill
all the details that fill the tree.

Indeed I spend A LOT of time to make this tree not crash anymore
(especially when you delete a part of it, or when you try to filter it).
But having it as a plugin which you can remove/disable is in this way a
good thing I would say.

One thing to note (IF somebody is funding this): it would be great to
have some communication between gdal and it's requests and QGIS too
(Nyall talked about this earlier with Even). Some requests are not
handled by QGIS anymore, but done by GDAL. So these are currently being
missed.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde