[QGIS-Developer] Cancellation: QGIS Developer meeting and conference Nødebo

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Mar 30 13:26:59 PDT 2020

Hi

> On 30 Mar 2020, at 17:11, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 5:46 PM Jorge Gustavo Rocha <jgr at di.uminho.pt> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Since we don't have the city name for the next QGIS version, can we just
>> call Pi to version 3.14?
>
> Another name we still have not used for a release is the first ever
> hackfest in Hannover in 2009 organized by Otto Dassau. That event
> started the whole tradition of meetings :-)
>
> https://image.slidesharecdn.com/20100315qgis-120101224706-phpapp01/95/qgis-21-728.jpg

Things I noticed from the above slide:

1. I still had lots of hair :-)
2. The carrying capacity of a small staircase in 2009 was equal to a major part of the QGIS developer community
3. We called hackfests “hackfests” and the world did not end

Also, further back in time, Marco Hugentobler, Jens Oberender and his pal (name since forgotten) and I met up in Karlsruhe for the first unofficial QGIS hackfest in 2004 [1]. That was the first time that any QGIS developers met each other in person I believe.

Another nice name candidate would be Anchorage in honour of our project founder who doesn’t get nearly enough credit other than an early splash screen containing a picture of his dog, Bandit (which would be a cool release name if it didn’t break our naming convention :-P).

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinuxTag#LinuxTag_2004 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinuxTag#LinuxTag_2004>

Regards

Tim

> Cheers