[QGIS-Developer] Understanding plugin management in QGIS: Meta data fields

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 14:51:31 PDT 2020

On Wed, 1 Apr 2020 at 05:22, Etienne Trimaille
<etienne.trimaille at gmail.com> wrote:

> Then a plugin can have or not a processing provider (not related to the statement before).

Just to expand on this -- this tag was added to aid in
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/34617 , and expose the metadata
about whether a particular plugin has processing capabilities or not.
The standalone tool will only load plugins which expose processing
capabilities (since the others are of no value to the tool, and just
slow down startup time).

It's completely independent from other options though -- you can have
plugins which add all kinds of things to the QGIS interface and also
expose processing capabilities (e.g. DataPlotly). Likewise you could
potentially have a plugin which exposes server capabilities AND
processing functionality.

Hope that clarifies!

Nyall