[QGIS-Developer] GeoPackage - multiple layers per file

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri May 8 06:19:44 PDT 2020

Hi,

On 5/8/20 3:13 PM, Tobias Wendorff wrote:
> Am 08.05.2020 um 15:10 schrieb Andreas Neumann:
>> To me, this is not a downside, but a big, big plus! Fewer mess on the
>> file system.
> My students and co-workers start to save each layer in a new GPKG, so I
> don't have a benefit all ;)

You can also have multiple sheets in an excel file. I normally don't.
But as long as this doesn't get into my way, I don't mind.

>> If you want to discuss this, please open a separate thread on it.
> Did so in the past, that's why I'm using FlatGeobuf. But I'm quiet now.

Flatgeobuf is indeed a very nice concept. For my understanding it has
one design decision which makes it unusable as everyday default file
format (unless I'm missing a point)

 > Deliberately does not support random writes for simplicity and to be
able to cluster the data on a packed Hilbert R-Tree
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_R-tree#Packed_Hilbert_R-trees>
enabling fast bounding box spatial filtering.

Source: https://github.com/bjornharrtell/flatgeobuf

Matthias