[QGIS-Developer] QGIS and spatialite

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon May 18 05:38:05 PDT 2020

Andreas,

> I am struggling with libspatialite. What libspatialite versions are you
> guys using?  I am trying to compile libspatialite-4.3.0a, but it
> complains about not finding "proj_api.h" (although this file is
> available at /usr/local/include). I tried both with proj-6.3.2 and
> proj-7.0.1. libspatialite-4.3.0a isn't happy with either proj version.

For 4.3.0a:

CFLAGS="-DACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H -O2 should help:
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/gdal/docker/alpine-normal/Dockerfile#L248

You can also build against the development repository of Spatialite:
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/gdal/ci/travis/ubuntu_1804/install.sh#L27
(you could probably drop the "fossil update 90180e065d" which must have been a
workaround against a regression, and the other peculiarities), so mostly:

fossil clone https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/libspatialite libspatialite.fossil
mkdir sl
cd sl
fossil open ../libspatialite.fossil
./configure [...]

> I noticed that there
> hadn't been a lot of activity with this library in the past months/years.

Yes, I've tried to maintain a communication channel with the developper, but with
moderate success only. The development is not abandoned, but only at a rather slow
pace.

> On a related question: could I build QGIS without libspatialite? I
> failed to do so, but maybe there are some tricks.

I don't think you can without some surgery in the code base.
FWIW, the WFS provider depends on it for caching (could potentially be replaced by
something else)

Even

http://www.spatialys.com