[QGIS-Developer] Globe Plugin

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed May 20 08:02:24 PDT 2020

Hi

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 9:23 AM Marco Bernasocchi <marco at opengis.ch> wrote:

> As one of the grandfathers of the original Globe plugin, I'd say ditch it
> - BUT... let's see what Matthias,  Martin and  Sandro think since they
> probably are the ones that are most up-to-date on can now be done with the
> 3d map canvas and globe

I am personally +1 to remove it:
- native QGIS 3D view has most of the functionality + a lot more to offer
- there have been no real updates besides compilation / code style fixes in
last ~4 years
- dependencies on OpenSceneGraph and osgEarth have always caused troubles
- we have been on the road to kill any internal c++ plugins in QGIS source
tree

The only major piece of functionality that's not in the native QGIS 3D view
is the "earth as a globe" view - so there may be some users that may be
missing that functionality.

So if we decide to remove the plugin, the question is whether to remove it
ASAP or wait until QGIS 4.0 or wait until globe support is in native QGIS
3D...

Regards
Martin