[QGIS-Developer] Search/filter boxes in service dialogs

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri May 29 00:19:23 PDT 2020

Hi List,

One of my longtime wishes comes true:

https://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/version/3.14/#allow-filtering-wmts-list-source-dialog

I did not even notice it at first because the search input is so small.
Had a little chat about it with Denis, and thought to bring it here.
We have a lot of different search/filter inputs:

We have several service/connection dialogs, and all have different
search/filter boxes:
- WMS has (now) a small one above the table
- WFS has a large one aboven the table
- Oracle connection has a set of fields below the table
- Just like postgres
- Network connection tree has one above the tree (with 'Filter requests')
- browser has one above the tree, but hidden (you have to click the
litte Y (funnel/filter sign?) first) with 'Type here to filter visible
items...)
- Options has a small one above the left column telling 'Search ....'

etc etc

Would it not be nice to streamline those to more or less the same
size/icons/text in it? There is also the normal input and the qgis input
with the 'clean input' icon.

We have: https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/developers_guide/hig.html

Anyone enough into this (or has a strong opinion) to create some guidelines?
Some of my preferences but I'm not so strong, happy to change:

- I would be ok with a hidden input(set_ over the total length of the
filtered widget) showing itself when clicked on the filter-icon and
preferably 'rembembered' (some tables I really like to always filter)
- always above the widget to filter
- I'd say: always a little 'magnifying glass'-icon in it
- no pref with me about the 'clean icon'
- always with 'Filter...' unless you need to give more info so: 'Filter
visible items....'
(not sure if 'filter' is the same as 'search' though)

I think with all the features flying in, we have to try to be a little
consistent in what it looks like?

(mmm, sorry, did not want to make it this long :-( )

Regards,

Richard Duivenvorode