[QGIS-Developer] Plugin authors - can/should you all give your plugin toolbars a tooltip?

Alister Hood alister.hood at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 01:43:12 PST 2020

Hi everyone,

As described in this old ticket:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/17019
"With a lot of plugins installed, the number of toolbars and panels soon
reach a confusing stage where users would like to be able to easily clean
and adjust their working environment according to their actual
needs.Disabling/enabling toolbars is a trial-and-error game, cause it's not
easy to identify which toolbar has which name in the list.
In addition to that, the dropdowns close after disabling/enabling each
single item, so adjusting toolbars/panels needs a lot of repetitive actions
(and even more of them, when the wrong toolbar/panel was chosen
beforehand)."

QGIS does now display tooltips on the handles of the built-in toolbars, but
none of the plugin toolbars I see have tooltips yet.  I doubt there is any
reason they shouldn't - it's probably just that the plugin builder doesn't
include the code for it.

If you maintain a plugin which provides a toolbar, it seems that the fix is
typically as simple as adding something like this in your plugin __init__
where you create the toolbar:
        self.toolbar.setToolTip(u'FlowEstimator Toolbar')
I'm sure there are plenty of users like me who will appreciate it if
everyone starts doing this!

Thanks,
Alister