[QGIS-Developer] Raster symbology - thumbnail/legend/palette

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 01:12:44 PST 2020

Hi all

In the raster layer properties dialog, in the Symbology tab, at the bottom
we have three boxes there - Thumbnail, Legend, Palette. Screenshot of the
dialog below. Do you see any value of those boxes? To me they seem like
some historical artifacts that are not very useful and rendering of the
thumbnail probably just slows down opening of the dialog.

And recently I have heard from users that contour line rendering of rasters
may trigger an exception when trying to draw the thumbnail, causing the
dialog to fail to open completely, making me think of those boxes as
harmful rather than just useless :-)

Screenshot:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14qgAj9tbuIdxBQyq1DEhrhGz5OkwYaQP/view?usp=sharing

What do you think? Remove or keep those boxes?

Cheers
Martin